You all better know him as ‘Sherlock’ aka the ‘Doctor Strange’ who has recently joined the MCU and will hit the theaters soon near you.
Poolgab brings to you the 7 things you did not know about him.
1. He is the son of Timothy Carlton and Wanda Ventham (who both were theater actors) and he himself has a Master of Arts degree in Classical Acting.
2. He almost didn’t become an actor. At the urging of his parents, a young Benedict originally planned to become a lawyer. Before studying Drama at Manchester University, he also spent a gap year teaching English in a Tibetan monastery.
3. He received an award for ‘Best Actor in a Play’ for his role in Frankenstein(2011) and has received 4 Emmy Nominations+ winning Outstanding Lead Actor in a mini series for his role as and in Sherlock.
4. He along with one of his friends launched his own production house ‘Sunny March’ in late 2013.
5. His role in the movie ‘The Imitation Game’ gained him huge acclaims and appreciations worldwide also bagging him Academy Award nomination for Best Actor.
6. He survived a kidnap attempt. He once stated in an interview that he nearly lost his life while filming BBC mini-series To the Ends of the Earth in South Africa. A gang of six men kidnapped him and co-star Denise Black, but Benedict managed to argue his way out. He said of the ordeal: “It’s made me want to live a life slightly less ordinary.”
7. He has heterochromia iridis. Like fellow actors Keifer Sutherland and Simon Pegg, Benedict Cumberbatch’s eyes are actually two different colors (green to blue).
8. Benedict almost turned down the role of Sherlock Holmes, worrying that the remake would be ”cheap and cheesy”.